3 children looking at their own PCs

Year 5 – Science experiement

18th October 23

Year 5 have been looking at combustion as part of their work on chemical reactions. We are introducing the idea that oxygen is needed for substances to burn, and comparing what happens when you burn gas using a Bunsen burner, a candle, and paper. The important point is that whereas candle wax and natural gas can be burned safely, (provided there is sufficient ventilation), because they are converted into water and carbon dioxide, wood and paper contain many other elements, and so also produce ash and smoke, which is poisonous. It is worth burning paper (in very small quantities, of course) in the lab, to illustrate the point. This naturally leads onto the fire triangle and fire safety.

Beyond the classroom