From Reception to Year 3, Geography is taught through topics as part of the Knowledge and Understanding of the World curriculum. From Year 4, it is taught as a discrete subject for three periods a week. One homework a week of about half an hour is set from Year 4. In Year 8, boys attend a residential geography field trip to support the work they do at Common Entrance and Scholarship.
- To improve children’s communication skills (verbal and written).
- To instruct pupils in the skills of presenting factual notes and of drawing and labelling factually informative diagrams.
- To increase a pupil's factual knowledge of the globe, on a local, national and global level.
- To increase a pupil's understanding and appreciation of physical landscapes as well as their ability to use and understand maps
- To increase a pupil's understanding of urban issues and to objectively inform pupils about environmental issues so that they can formulate their own views.
Geography at The Mall is based on encouraging pupils to learn about the world around them and how human beings interact with this world.