Computing is taught at The Mall as a discrete subject throughout the school. From Reception to Year 5 in one lesson a week and from Year 6 as part of a creative curriculum which includes Art and Design Technology. Pupils gain experience of computing both in the specific lessons and across the curriculum in other subject areas.
The syllabus is based on key skills and areas of knowledge from the National Curriculum which includes the three strands, Computer Science, Information Technology and Digital Literacy.
To educate pupils to understand the value of Information and Communication Technology through:
- Using computers across the curriculum.
- Learning to use a range of software.
- Learning programming skills.
- Understanding how computer equipment works.
- Evaluating the possibilities and limitations of different computer systems
The IT suite is a bookable resource and members of staff responsible for other teaching areas are encouraged to use the room as much as possible. All Departments are encouraged to incorporate the use of ICT into their schemes of work and make specific provision for its use.